Natural therapy or octopus attack?
Cupping is a modality in which cups are placed on the skin to create suction in order to release tight muscles by breaking up knots and adhesions, thereby decreasing pain and discomfort. Cupping leaves marks on the skin that look like bruises; however they are not. Bruises are caused by trauma (something hitting hard into tissue), cupping mark are made by creating a vacuum like seal from the skin to the cup which brings blood into the tissue. This is the therapeutic effect of cupping.
What are the benefits of getting cupping?
- Releases lactic acid in muscles
- Improves circulation, oxygenation, and detoxification of blood
- Speeds up recovery time
- Promotes relaxation of tight muscles
- Increases range of motion
- Soothes muscle spasms
- Decreases inflammation
- Strengthens the immune system
What can cupping help with?
- Neck and back pain (both upper and lower)
- Hip pain
- Cold/flu and cough